2017 was a year of a lot of personal growth and development for me.
Many people probably don’t know this, but I have struggled with my self-esteem and body image for a long time. I had gotten very good at hiding it, however, I was still unhappy on the inside.
Although personal growth is never one of those things that you ever really ‘finish’. I know that I have made a lot of progress over the past year. Furthermore, I am in a much better and happier place in my life now. Therefore, I decided to write down a few life lessons I have learned that I hope will help you in 2018!
Life Lessons to go into the New Year with:
- Let it go. Whoever hurt you or did you wrong. Whatever didn’t work out the way you wanted it to. Whatever left you disappointed. Get over it. Move on. Everything happens for a reason, and I guarantee something better is coming your way. However, you will never get to see the new and wonderful things if you are still hung up on the past.
- Stop caring about what other people think. Chances are that they are too focused on themselves to even notice what’s going on in your life anyways. Regardless of it they do notice, what they think of you actually does not matter. I promise. In the end what really matters is what you think of you.
- Be your own cheerleader/ hype man. Stop relying on other people to make you feel good. Sometimes those people you rely on won’t be there and if you depend on their approval and support you are likely to find yourself disappointed at one time or another. Believe in and cheer for yourself. Not only will you feel supported all the time, but you are also more likely to attract other support along the way. Therefore you won’t have to do it all by yourself forever, but in the mean time you will feel good, without putting the pressure on others.
- Stop letting drama/ issues that don’t directly involve your life bring you down. Don’t let others’ bad moods affect you. Stay in your own lane and keep shining your own light. Doing this may sound selfish, but it’s not, I promise. Doing this will improve your quality of life and general mood, as well as the mood of those around you.
- Make doing things you love and enjoy a priority. Being happy and enjoying life is the whole purpose of being alive, don’t forget that. You are not meant to live your whole life working and exhausted. So make time for you. You will not only have more fun, but you will most likely be more productive with your work as well.
- Being busy and tired is not necessary for a successful and fulfilling life. This point sort of builds off of the last one, however I thought it deserved it’s own tip. You do not have to always be busy. Being tired and busy is not glamourous. Once I slowed down my life, started prioritizing and saying no, I not only felt more refreshed, but I was less grumpy and more kind to those close to me.
- Follow the law of fair exchange. Always give more than you get. In regards to your job, always do your best and give more value in your effort than you receive in payment. Furthermore, in regards to your relationships fight the urge to be right and allow others to have the glory. Smile at strangers. Be the first to say hello. Be as nice as possible without worrying about if it will be reciprocating by that same person.
- Go after your dreams. Even if you don’t really know what they are, (I feel you) just try something new. Only pursue things that really excite you and set your heart on fire. Anything less than that will lead to a mediocre life. I don’t know about you, but I want to live a life that excites me.
- Wear sunscreen. Seriously, just do it.
- Treat people how you would want to be treated. Be the type of friend you would want. Be the family member you are looking for. Think about how your actions will affect the other people involved before you act.
Hopefully these lessons will inspire you to live your best life in 2018
And remember, personal growth is different for every person. Which means you may have different life lessons to learn than me. However I have learned that the main key to growth is being aware you need to change, and acting on it.
Bonus Lesson: No one is perfect. The sooner you realize that and stop criticizing yourself for not being perfect or expecting others to be, the happier you will be and the more you will be able to grow personally.
I hope that 2018 is an absolutely wonderful year for you!
If you have any life lessons that you think could help others then please feel free to comment or send me an email! I may have to make a part two!
If you need help reflecting on your 2017 and preparing for the New Year, I have the perfect blog for you here!